View Full Version : Pitstops on the Road Back

RazMatic
09-12-2006, 9:29 AM
I first got into the hobby in 1977 and had 7 tanks by 1980. I switched to freshwater about 1987 and took down my last freshwater tank 5 years ago when I got married again. About two years ago I had the itch to get into reef tanks and had my 50 gal drilled for a 1" bulkhead, then did nothing until last December when I joined ARC. I still haven't set up a tank as yet.

My wife has been concerned that setting up the 50 in the living room would not make her happy, so Labor Day Weekend I built a life size mockup of tank, stand, and hood (pictures below) so she can approve a location. With her buy-in I now have a "building permit", but I have to get the sconce moved. Soon I will start with a stand skeleton to set up and water test the plumbing. I plan to have a 29 refugium underneath the 50, but building and plumbing the stand will tell me if that will work.

My wife also gave me two other conditions for the tank: 1) nothing that will eat tank mates; and 2) nothing "that looks anything like a snake". (So much for an octopus.) My mantra is "look at the pretty fishies, look at the pretty fishies" as my wife has no interest in things like calcium concentrations. She will be selecting/approving fish for the tank. I get the corals. There can be balance in all things.

Look forward to seeing everyone tonight at the meeting.

glxtrix
09-12-2006, 9:34 AM
hahaha, thats soo sad, but awesome! Great idea on the mock up, glad you and the wife can agree.

mojo
09-12-2006, 11:10 AM
Hey- look at all the benefits of having a cardboard tank - cheaper, nothing dies, no supplements needed, no hauling buckets.... :)

tsciarini
09-12-2006, 11:43 AM
How much are you selling your current setup for when you get the 50gal in place?

mojo
09-12-2006, 12:05 PM
If you decide to break up the parts, I call dibbs on the canopy! :)

gwen_o_lyn
09-12-2006, 12:47 PM
That is very cool!!

Just don't mention the benefits of this system to the wifey!