View Full Version : cheap wavetimer

blind1993
12-21-2007, 11:14 AM
anyone know where to get a cheap timer for a diy wavebox.

Amici
12-21-2007, 4:31 PM
That will all depend on the type of pump you use. What kind of pump is it.

blind1993
12-21-2007, 6:01 PM
i have 1 mj 900 and those aquaclear 402s that i plan on using.

i found one for 10 dollars but it was for dc pumps, so if you know any cheap dc pumps tell me.

blind1993
12-21-2007, 6:12 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Pulse-Timer-with-Spdt-Relay/dp/B0009WP09K/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=172282&s=electronics

will this work for those pumps.

Amici
12-21-2007, 6:19 PM
Do you want a wave box like the Tunze or a wave timer.

blind1993
12-21-2007, 6:34 PM
i want a wavebox but to do that i need the timer.

Amici
12-21-2007, 6:39 PM
Cant make a wavebox with the pumps you have bc they arent DC and without moding them they wont push enough water. Even with modding them you will screw up the pump with it starting the wrong way half the time. The biggest pump you have pushes 270 gph and the Tunze ones push anywhere from 2200 to 5000 gph depending on the pump. Your better off using it as a wave timer.

blind1993
12-21-2007, 6:41 PM
but will all of them combined it equals 770gph and that is enough for a 55g tank.

Amici
12-21-2007, 6:45 PM
Haha your going to put 3 powerheads in a box and expect those 3 to push all the water out of the box at the same time in a wave motion? The tunze pumps push a VERY wide amount of water which moves a wall of water. What you are doing is like trying to cool someone down by blowing through a drinking straw compared to a desk fan. You need to check your physics again....

Victor626nj
12-21-2007, 6:47 PM
he is right blind your best bet is to get one koralia 3or 4 and you wont need a timer or any other pump

blind1993
12-21-2007, 6:49 PM
so if those will not work will the seios work?

blind1993
12-21-2007, 6:50 PM
i want a wavebox becuase i like the wave pattern.

would the pumps i have at least make a tiny wave.

Amici
12-21-2007, 7:01 PM
Blind you dont understand the physics behind this bud. No it wont. You need a WIDE spread of water. If this would be done with a Seio dont you think ALOT of people would have done this? There is not a quick is throw together project. I am designing one and have had the help of an engineer and have had the benefit of working with the marine sciences dept at UGA and one of my previous physics professors so I can get all the calculations correct. Just to give you an idea, I started working on this in July and still dont have a prototype. I was going to build it this break but wont have time. If you want a wave motion then get a Koralia 4 on each side of the tank and get a strobe timer that DJ's use and sit in front of your tank for about an hour until you match up the correct wavelength to the frequency.

blind1993
12-21-2007, 7:22 PM
ok if i use my pumps as a wavetimer could i use that timer.

Amici
12-21-2007, 7:26 PM
Which timer is "that" timer. The one you talked about or the DJ timer. The dj timer yes, but I would just buy one from aqua buys that is made for it bc it will have longer cycle times. You really dont need split second cycles like with a dj timer.

blind1993
12-21-2007, 7:31 PM
the one i mentioned is what i was talking about. also the dj timer is just 22 dollars so that is cheaper than a timer at aquabuys.

Amici
12-21-2007, 7:46 PM
Annce I am going to stop helping you because you are not listening to anything I have said or are just ignoring complete parts of my post. I told you the reason why you should use the one from aqua buys. Do what you want but realize the cheapest option is not always the best. You asked for help and I have done months of research on this but you are not listening. Im done man!

blind1993
12-21-2007, 7:49 PM
you said that the aquabuys timer has larger intervals but with the dj timer you can get it to go with those intervals so what is the problem. i am sorry but i am thinking about everything you are saying and it is a complicated matter so maybe you are thinking something different than i am, and the message is not getting through. i like having you to bounce my ideas off of so please do not leave.

Amici
12-21-2007, 8:08 PM
DJ timer: split second to 3 second intervals on most.
Wave timer: 10 second to 6 minute interval.

Short intervals (ie dj timer) are good for pushing a large amount of water with a DC pump.
Long intervals (ie wave timer) are good for pushing small amounts of water and alternating so you can get a varying flow.

If you put a short interval timer on a Koralia then its gonna click really bad every time it switches and will not last long. The short interval would work on MJ's but you can only get 295 gph of flow. A larger aquaclear might work but once you get to the size where they can move a decent amount of water they are massive. A long interval timer will not change as often (duh) which means that the pump is less likely to burn out because it stays on for a few minutes at a time. You dont have CLICK CLICK CLICK every 4 seconds and for some reason the wave timers dont make it click as badly I think because it stays on longer.

Skriz
12-21-2007, 11:10 PM
you can use one of these (http://www.aquabuys.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=esu_timer&Category_Code=j4&Product_Count=1); I have one that you can have for $15

Cameron
12-22-2007, 2:58 AM
I have avoided wading in on this one, but here goes. If you put all three pumps on one side and can find the right frequency for turning them on/off, you MIGHT get a wave. You will need an adjustable timer that can turn on/off every 1-20 seconds or so. You MIGHT be able to find the right pulse that will cause a wave to start and build. Unmodded MJs will work (don't know anythign about the AquaClears) as they aren't prop driven so the AC thing shouldn't work against you. You will shorten the life of your pumps doing this and it isn't guaranteed to work. Depends on how fast those pumps start and stop and how regularly they do so. It won't be as pronounced as a wavebox either.

blind1993
12-22-2007, 10:58 AM
i have done alot of thinking and i am going to save money to get a tunze and a tunze controler. now my question is which tunze do i need?

Amici
12-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I have avoided wading in on this one, but here goes. If you put all three pumps on one side and can find the right frequency for turning them on/off, you MIGHT get a wave. You will need an adjustable timer that can turn on/off every 1-20 seconds or so. You MIGHT be able to find the right pulse that will cause a wave to start and build. Unmodded MJs will work (don't know anythign about the AquaClears) as they aren't prop driven so the AC thing shouldn't work against you. You will shorten the life of your pumps doing this and it isn't guaranteed to work. Depends on how fast those pumps start and stop and how regularly they do so. It won't be as pronounced as a wavebox either.

Hey cameron I used 3 MJ 1200 on a 29 and played iwth if for an hour and couldnt get anything other than a thin stream of flow. It just wasnt enough to move the whole wall of water. The stream just isnt wide enough IMO.

Annce as far as the Tunze I would figure out how much flow you want. I just learned that the one they use in the wave box is a different one than they sell. Are you going to be getting a new/larger tank anytime soon that you will want to use the wavebox on? If so and you can let me know what tank size I will try to figure up the volume you will need to push per second for that size and then can probably tell you the size Tunze.

blind1993
12-22-2007, 11:14 AM
ok i did a little math and my tank needs about 1000gph of flow.
if i do upgrade(dad said he would, but i know its not true) it would be a 75g.

also are all tunzes made for on and off flow?

blind1993
12-22-2007, 11:28 AM
would this mod make the mj mod work correctly enough for a wavebox http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=18901

Amici
12-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Nah I have tried MULTIPLE anti reverse things on MJ's and have yet to find one that worked consistantly AND held up more than a few hours. The anti reverse is only meant to be used when the power goes out. Not 10-40 times a minute depending on the frequency.